I just tried upgrading my MovableType installation. Mind you, I was tired when I started this. I actually, really wanted to sleep hours ago but got caught up in something. MT is currently at 4.x. I’m running 2.661. First I made a backup of all my files by downloading everything over FTP. Then I exported my entries and went through the upgrade process. Eventually I realized that the new MT only supports real databases, not the BerkeleyDB system I was using. That’s fine, and I really should upgrade to use sql. However, I didn’t have time for that before AX so I decided to restore MT. I put everything back the way it was but couldn’t login. Apparently there were no blogs or authors in my MT at all. I went to look at my backup; in my sleepiness I did not actually export the entries at all.
Eventually I realized I had just uploaded everything as ASCII. I reuploaded it correctly, and everything’s back to normal. I’m going to go export everything now to be on the safe side.